Monday, May 30, 2016

Raw Mango & Mushroom Kodomillet Rice/Maangai Kaalan Varagu Saadham

I have created this ultimate, healthy tangy Kodo millet rice for an event. Yes when you are challenged with some interesting ingredients by an another food blogger, seriously you will break your head to come up with some unique ideas. For this month's Shhh Cooking Secretly, started by myself and now the event is taken by Mayuri Patel,Mayuri paired me with Annam, as usual we chitchatted together and decided to go with two interesting ingredients for both of us. Actually the main ingredient of this month's event is Mango, obviously we are supposed to give two more ingredients to our partner to pair with Mangoes. I gave toor dal and shallots to Annam,while she gave me Millets and Mushrooms. When i got these two ingredients to cook along with mango, i decided myself to go with a savory dish.

Mangai Kaalan Varagu Saadham,Raw Mango & Mushroom Kodomillet Rice,

Initially i wanted to make a pakora with mushrooms to combine with usual raw mango rice by replacing rice with Kodomillet rice. Since none want to have deep fried fritters i immediately dropped that idea. Then i decided to dish out a simple but yet a delicious healthy millet rice with sauteed mushrooms and grated mangoes. These both ingredients works awesome and this millet rice came out extremely delicious and absolutely mildly tangy. Served along with any spicy side dish or with some boiled eggs, one can enjoy thoroughly this interesting dish without any fuss. Thanks to Annam for pulling me to come up with this interesting millet dish and we loved it.

To Cook Kodo millet, bring boil three cups of water. Meanwhile wash a cup of a kodomillet,add it to the boiling water, cook in medium flame until the millets gets well cooked and the water gets disappears. Gently fluff it with a fork.

Maangai Kaalan Varagu Saadham,Raw Mango & Mushroom Kodomillet Rice,Maanga Varagu Saadham

2cups Cooked Kodomillet rice
1cup Grated raw mango
3nos Green chillies(slit opened)
1tbsp Grated ginger
1/2tsp Mustard seeds
1tsp Urad dal
1tsp Channadal
1/2cup Chopped mushrooms
3nos Dry red chillies
1/4tsp Asafoetida powder
Few curry leaves
1/2tsp Turmeric 
Oil
Salt

Heat enough oil in a big pan, let splutter mustard seeds, then add the urad dal,channadal,dry red chillies,asafoetida powder and keep frying.

Now add the curry leaves,slit opened green chillies,turmeric powder and cook for few minutes.

Add the chopped mushrooms and saute until they shrinks.

Raw Mango & Mushroom Kodomillet Rice

Add the grated raw mango, salt and saute for a while.

Now add immediately the cooked kodomillet rice to this tempered spice mixture.

Mix well. Serve warm with some fried papads or with boiled eggs.

24 comments:

Mayuri Patel said... Reply To This Comment

I am trying to replace rice with kodo millet and I love your recipe. Hopefully I will be able to try it out soon Priya. With mushrooms added to it, I'm sure hubby will love it too.

Shobha said... Reply To This Comment

Never tried using this grain.. The preparation looks yummy.

Drashti Dholakia said... Reply To This Comment

Tangy, spicy and healthy recipe...Can add veggies as per choice. Great recipe :)

Jyoti Babel said... Reply To This Comment

This grain is new to me. It is a hearty and healthy recipe

Archana said... Reply To This Comment

Here I have been thinking of trying this combo n you have cooked it already. Yummy will try it as now I am sure I am not crazy.

cookingwithsapana said... Reply To This Comment

Kodo millet is my favorite in all millets. Look so delicious and comforting one pot meal.

Rafeeda AR said... Reply To This Comment

I have been hearing so much about millets, but I am yet to start trying it for my family since all they like is chapathis, rice or bread... the saadam sounds super delicious, and is making me tempted to pick a pack and try something similar...

sujitha said... Reply To This Comment

Mango rice is a addictive one.. Mango rice in Kodo millet is such healthy and nutritious platter priya akka..

Priya Satheesh said... Reply To This Comment

Innovative combination sis. I should try this soon for my son. He loves mushroom and mango a lot!

Sasmita said... Reply To This Comment

Kodo millet !!! never tried my hand with this variety f grain. Looks so delicious yours :)

Sonal said... Reply To This Comment

this looks so hearty and comforting. would love to dig in.

Sharmila kingsly said... Reply To This Comment

MUshroom and Mango are totally diff.. Never thought they would go along so well. Yummy..

Hayley said... Reply To This Comment

Priya, I am definitely going try this recipe, it's hearty, warm and packed with so many nutritious values in it.

Uma Srinivas said... Reply To This Comment

Who doesn’t likes a healthy bowl of rice?! Looks so flavorful and delicious.

Vidya Narayan said... Reply To This Comment

Replacing rice with millets once in a while to make south indian specials is the smartest thing to do. We southies tend to go overboard on carbs and place less focus on veggies. This would ensure good amount of nutrition via the millets and fibre intake too. I have joined the secretly cooking group just 2 months back and glad to see this 2016 post of the same group with lovely ingredients. Such groups, bring out some amazing discovery!

Nivedita Thadani said... Reply To This Comment

Millets! I am happy that people are welcoming these into the kitchen. My husband scolds me for keeping all the millets in the fridge. I use all the variety. Your rice looks yummy and perfect and ofcourse it's healthy too.

Padmajha said... Reply To This Comment

You have used two very different kids of veggies in this dish! And this is really a healthier version! Good one Priya.

Pavani said... Reply To This Comment

What an interesting dish this is Priya. The combination of raw mango and mushrooms sounds absolutely delicious. Using millets makes it even more nutritious.

Ruchi's Veg Kitchen said... Reply To This Comment

Looks so inviting ... Healthy and very flVourful

Simplyfood said... Reply To This Comment

I love healthy recipes , I have never tried this grain but will definitely check it next time I visit the Asian grocery shop. It looks healthy and delicious.

Lathiya said... Reply To This Comment

I love raw mango flavor in rice..but haven't tried with mushroom.. will try it for sure

jayashree said... Reply To This Comment

This is such a healthy dish, need to try making this one. Looks tasty, though I will do without mushroom.

code2cook said... Reply To This Comment

I like to cook with millets, but have not tried this. ACtually, I cannot recognize them so could not buy so far. But preparation looks very delicious must say. I can imagine the taste. Bookmarked.

preethi'scuisine said... Reply To This Comment

Bookmarking this healthy Kodo millet mushroom and mango rice. Awesome combo which i have never tried.Your pics are tempting me so much.